Where it All Began
Adventist Medical Center Manila formerly Manila Sanitarium was started as a clinic in July 1929 by Dr. Horace A. Hall, a medical missionary. It was located at the corner of Vermont St. (now Julio Nakpil St.) and Indiana St. Malate, Manila. The service was carried on mainly for Adventists living in Manila and neighboring provinces. As demands for service increased, the dispensary was converted into a small hospital and a three-storey building was constructed.
The School of Nursing
In the 1930, the MSH School of Nursing was opened and maintained by Miss Fannie Hiday, an American nurse; followed by Miss Bessie Irvine and Miss Bertha Parker. In 1967, Philippine Union College (PUC) absorbed the school and Manila Sanitarium and Hospital simply provided the facility or its clinical division.
The Relocation and the Second World War
A 2 ½ acre lot was bought in 1940, and a four-storey building was built on its present location at the corner of San Juan and Donada Streets in Pasay City. Service was interrupted when the Japanese Imperial Army took over MSH during the Second World War. They used MSH as a navy hospital from January 1942 to February 1945. When the Japanese evacuated, a demolition bomb was detonated under the center of the structure causing extensive damage. Amidst the ruins of the hospital, a clinic was opened and continued to serve the surrounding community. Dr. Regalado T. Santos was the Medical Director during those troublous times. The American army also occupied the building until July 1946. Rebuilding of the hospital took place between 1947-1949.
Pioneering Medical Technology
In 1954, the first School of Medical Technology in the country was opened by Manila Sanitarium and Hospital (MSH). It was under the leadership of Mrs. Willa Hedrick, wife of Dr. Elvin Hedrick. Not long after, the hospital started its medical internship and residency-training program which was affiliated with Loma Linda University in California, USA. The School of Medical Technology was later on absorbed by PUC (now AUP) leaving to Manila Sanitarium and Hospital the facility for its clinical division.
The hospital continued to progress under the leadership of American medical directors until the early 1970’s. It was in 1972 that a Filipino was officially elected to lead the medical work at MSH.
MSH, being the first and the largest medical institution in the Philippines, served as a pilot model and was instrumental in establishing sister Adventist medical institutions around the country.
The School of Medical Arts
The incorporation of the hospital as a medical/educational institution took place on May 22, 1993. The hospital is now tasked not only to extend medical services to the patients who come for healing but also to mold the young minds of students in preparation for the life here and hereafter. And this paved the way to the opening of the School of Medical Arts on June 1993.
Total Quality Management Program and Manila Sanitarium Foundation
December 1998 marked the launching of Total Quality Management (TQM) program. The undertaking consist of activities such as quality planning, forming of quality improvement teams, project monitoring, benchmarking and standardization, documentation, and training intended to develop a quality culture in the organization.
The Pain Management and Palliative Care Clinic opened January 1999. Target clients of this program were cancer pain patients and those with acute and chronic pain.
On March 23, 1999, Manila Sanitarium Foundation, Inc. was officially approved by the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) of the Philippines. It was launched on September 26, 1999 as a non-stock, non-profit association. The foundation helps the hospital in its development programs.
More developments came about in the new millennium. In a Board of Trustees’ resolution number 2002-039 dated April 2, 2002, Manila Sanitarium and Hospital and School of Medical Arts, Inc. was renamed to Manila Adventist Medical Center and School of Medical Arts, Inc. With the acquisition of new equipment and introduction of new services, Manila Sanitarium and Hospital qualified as a medical center.
Angelo King Health and Wellness Center
On June 27, 2002, MAMC-SMA, Inc. inaugurated the PhP 18.8M four-storey Angelo King Health and Wellness Center – the first Preventive Lifestyle Medicine center in the Philippines. It provides Preventive Health Care service against lifestyle diseases. It promotes healthy living to greatly reduce the risk of debilitating diseases. This center has a fully-equipped fitness gym, two massage rooms, sauna facility, a cooking laboratory, and guest rooms. It is modeled after similar lifestyle centers in the United States, namely: the Lifestyle Center of America, Loma Linda Center for Health and Wellness, and the Pacific Health Education Training Center.
It was in June 2003 that the hospital opened its door to aspiring nurses. The Commission on Higher Education gave permit to MAMC-SMA, Inc. to offer First Level of Bachelor of Science in Nursing for the School Year 2003-2004; and a Certificate of Government Recognition granting the authority to offer BSN course from first to fourth year levels was issued on March 20, 2007.
In its quest for healthcare service excellence, global competitiveness and international acceptance, MAMC-SMA, Inc. carries the ISO 9001:2000 banner for quality management after being officially accredited on June 08, 2005. To comply with ISO 9001:2000 requirements and standards, it is committed to establish, implement and improve its Quality Management System.
Hospital Expansions and the Manila Adventist College
The SEC approved the change of school’s name. On April 17, 2007, MAMC School of Medical Arts was renamed to Manila Adventist College (MAC). With the new name, the school is no longer limited to just offering allied health courses, but other courses deemed necessary.
With the hospital’s desire for expansion, May 29, 2007 was the day of reality. MAMC & C acquired the Dela Rama property – a 4,613 square meters lot adjacent to the hospital situated along Donada Street for the benefit of the school’s growing populace.
Another providential purchase was made on February 1, 2008. It was a 440 square meter lot property with a four-storey building which became boy's dormitory on June 2008.
AdventistMed at Present
Today, the hospital can readily accommodate 150 patients in their choice of suite, private, semi-private and ward rooms housed in a four-storey edifice. A full-time staff of more than four hundred provides services to members of Health Maintenance organizations, insurance hospitalization plan holders, employees of sister institutions and corporations. The hospital’s lifestyle program includes in-patient and out-patient executive check-ups, counseling, weight control, stress management, diabetes control and many more. The Dietary Department prepares well-balanced meals for in-patients as well as the general dining public and provides catering services. To serve the emotional and spiritual needs of patients, a chaplain is available on a 24-hour basis. An automated library with a collection of over 11,800 books is open to students, workers and the medical staff.
Through the years, Adventist Medical Center Manila has carried out a philosophy based on the Biblical tenet – “To Make Man Whole.” Furthermore, AdventistMed will continue in its mission of "Sharing Jesus Christ's Healing Ministry".